Where is Jim now?

27 June 2008

Dragging My Boat

I was all set to get up at 4:00 am today to paddle across the Mendenhall Bar into Juneau at high tide like I have read is necessary. But I met a local who has lots of kayaking experience who reassured me that there's enough water for a kayak to get through at any time. He says they even run kayak races through it at low tide. So I slept in and got a leisurely start.

Big mistake. I ended up dragging my boat much of the way, then waiting in the middle of the bar for the tide to come in. It was funny to be sitting in the middle of a relatively inaccesible sandbar, watching the cars on the highway and the airplanes flying directly overhead as they depart the airport built on the north end of the sandbar.

When I finally got through it was getting late, but I managed to find a place to stay at the Juneau Hostel. I'll pick up my resupply package and plan to get underway on Monday, heading for Petersburg.

No comments: