Where is Jim now?

07 July 2008

Sweet Dreams

Crossing over from Admiralty Island to the mainland today, I couldn't figure out how there could be a rock sticking out of the water where the depth exceeds 400 feet. As I got closer it exhaled and I realized it was a sleeping humpback whale, motionless except for a breath every minute or two. I tiptoed past, trying not to wake it.

In case the weather changed unexpectedly, I planned to do the crossing via a series of stepping stones including the Brothers, Five Finger and Storm islands. I figured I'd stop and take a quick look at the automated lighthouse on Five Finger. As I got closer I noticed a flag flying over it and then heard a dog barking. Turns out the Juneau Lighthouse Society is in charge now and Ed McIntosh arrived yesterday to spend the summer fixing the place up. He gave me the grand tour. I was impressed by the work that's been done to get the place back in shape after being unoccupied for 20 or so years.

I couldn't resisd Ed's offer of a spare bed and hot running water, so the remainder of the crossing will have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments: