Where is Jim now?

15 October 2008

Deceived

Yesterday I set out to transit Deception Pass, a constriction where currents can exceed 8 knots accompanied by big eddies and whirlpools. I looked up the current prediction and planned to pass the constriction at 3:11 pm, when the current would be slack as the tide transitioned from flood to ebb. As I approached the pass, I was dismayed to see that I was already paddling against a significant current, which delayed my arrival at the pass. By the time I reached the pass the current was quite strong. I paddled along shore eddies, taking advantage of countercurrents where available. When I got to the narrowest point, though, there was no was no way to proceed except paddle against the main current. Paddling hard, I was moving backward. I turned around, allowed the current to carry me back to the nearest campground, and set up camp for the night.

Looking back at my current tables, it looks like I had jotted down the current prediction for September 12 rather than October 12, and the period of slack current had ended well before I reached the pass.

I tried again this morning, using the correct current predictions, and made it through with no problem. The winds were forecast to be 15-25 knot from the south all day and they were already picking up in the morning. I would have liked to paddle to Camano Island, but probably wouldn't be able to make it before sunset. So I camped on Hope Island after a very short paddle and had a whole afternoon to lounge around, eat a luxurious hot lunch and swing on the island's rope swing.

No comments: