Where is Jim now?

16 October 2008

Whidbey Island

After winding my way down northern Puget Sound, I find myself on Whidby Island. Home feels like it's just over the horizon. Unfortunately campsites in this area are few and widely spaced, so I've got a couple long paddling days ahead before I get there. I had planned to camp today at the southern tip of the island, ready to head to the mainland, but stronger than forecast headwinds made that plan unrealistic. Instead, I'm taking a rest in Langley, a tourist town of about one thousand people with at least six bookstores. Although their campground is officially closed for the season, the county fairgrounds have been kind enough to allow me to camp.

As soon as the weather forecast looks a bit better, I'll be off for the final few miles between here and home. Much as I've loved this journey, being so close to home is shifting my mind back to my other life back in civilization, and I'm ready to get back and resume that life.

2 comments:

bumsa said...

Hey Jim,
Good to know you are still heading south. Wondered a couple days there. We have been home from Ketchikan since Sep. 2.
The Hostel parents

MrTwistoff said...

Funny, I went through the same mental transition finishing the CO Trail - wondering how was I going to get six hours of aerobic exercise in each day? But the things you have filled yourself with during this trip (and your CO Trail trip, and all those other fine adventures), are what get you through the "civilized" existence as it turns toward boredom.

Certainly, the transitions are exciting. That's why it's so important to interject as many as you can.

Thanks for sharing this man, so that we (the temporarily chained) might vicariously enjoy.