When I heard the forecast for localized hurricane-force winds some ways north of my location, I decided to setup camp early and settle in for the storm. I'm camped in the apple orchard of some old-time homesteaders, now a marine park with its own herd of habituated deer. A couple other kayakers appeared and we had dinner together (i.e. they fed me, since my dry food was much less attractive then their fresh stuff) and shared cocktails into the night, laughing at the failure of the forecast winds to arrive.Our laughter subsided after we returned to our tents, the winds picked up and branches started falling from the trees. There were a few large crashes during the night, which we suspect were entire tree trunks snapping.
The other kaykers took off this morning, but shortly after they left the winds picked up again, and I decided to take a rest day. It was intermittently windy all day, and I was glad to be off the water.
No comments:
Post a Comment