Where is Jim now?

29 July 2008

Red Sky in the Morning

The weather forecast predicted an imminent storm, so two days out of Ketchikan I holed up in a Forest Service cabin to wait it out. A sailboat was anchored just offshore with a disabled rudder. The owner was new to sailing, had recently bought a boat and didn't have the necessary spart parts. He had sent word into town with another boat and was hoping his son, a float plane pilot, would show up with the part any day.

The cabin was cozy and the view was great. I spent two nights and then, once it looked like the worst of the storm was over, headed back out. I snuck across the Behm Canal in some chop and then was home free. The forecast is for good weather starting in a couple days. The Dixon Entrance, one of the trickier stretches of water on my route, is ahead. I'd like to try to get across it during the forecast good weather.

No comments: